Refractory asthma refers to poorly controlled asthma. It is also called as severe asthma, steroid-dependent or resistant asthma, difficult to control asthma, brittle asthma and irreversible asthma. The following steps can be taken for the patients with refractory asthma:
- Check the patient compliance with the medication prescribed.
- Correct the use of inhalers.
- Add low dose low release theophylline.
- Consider long term oral steroids.
- Infusion of beta-2 agonists may benefit some of the patients.
Keywords: Refractory asthma, Treatment, Severe asthma, Steroid-dependent or resistant asthma, Difficult to control asthma, Brittle asthma, Irreversible asthma