Thursday, September 18, 2014

Absolute Contraindications of Breastfeeding



Source: www.commons.wikimedia.org
In the following conditions, breastfeeding is absolutely contraindicated:
1. The mother is having AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Deficiency Syndrome) caused by HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection.

2. The mother is having HTLV (human T-cell lymphotrophic virus) type I or II.
3. The mother is suffering from herpes simplex of breast e.g. Chicken pox or Shingles.
4. The mother is using illegal drugs e.g. Heroin, Cocaine, Marijuana, Amphetamines, Phencyclidine.

5. The mother is receiving diagnostic or therapeutic radioisotopes (radiotherapy) or exposed to radioactive substances e.g. Copper 64, Indium 111, Iodine 123, 125, 131, Gallium 67, Radioactive sodium, Technetium 99m.
6. The mother is on one or more of the following drugs: chemotherapeutic agents (e.g. Cyclophosphamide, Cyclosporine, Doxorubicin, Methotrexate), radioisotopes.
7. The baby is suffering from a condition called glactosemia.
8. The mother has untreated tuberculosis.
Note: Do not stop breast-feeding if you have cesarean delivery, received vaccination, breast surgery, pierced nipples and hepatitis C. If you have active hepatitis A or hepatitis B, breast-feed your baby after the baby has received immune globulins.

References

The transfer of drugs and other chemicals into human milk. Pediatr 108(3):776-89.

Question and Answers

1. I am suffering from AIDS. Can I breastfeed my baby?
Answer: No, you cannot breastfeed your baby if you have AIDS as the virus (HIV) can transmitted from your body to your baby through milk. [Reference]
2. I am cocaine user. Can I breastfeed my baby?
Answer: No, you cannot breastfeed your baby if you use illegal drugs like Heroin, Cocaine, Marijuana, Amphetamines and Phencyclidine. [Reference]
3. I am having breast cancer and taking radiotherapy. Can I breastfeed my baby?
Answer: No, you cannot breastfeed your baby if you are under radiotherapy (isotopes) as it delays neurocognitive development. [Reference]
4. I am suffering from Graves' disease and on radioactive iodine therapy. Can I breastfeed my baby?
Answer: No, you cannot breastfeed your baby/infant as radioactive iodine therapy is an absolute contraindication for breastfeeding as it delays neurocognitive development. [Reference]
5. Hi, I am suffering from herpes simplex virus. Can I feed my baby?
Answer: No, you cannot breastfeed your baby as herpes virus will be transmitted to your baby and your baby will suffer from the same illness. [Reference]
 
 

Keywords: Breastfeeding, Contraindications, Absolute contraindication, AIDS, HIV, Chemotherapy, Radiotherapy, Glactosemia, Untreated TB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your precious time and nice feedback. Also, you can join this site for regular updates.

Ad

Comments system

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *